Now attend presentations remotely – via WebEx!
COUG is continuing to offer WebEx attendance to our Year-End event at no charge to you!
To take advantage of this incredible opportunity, or for more information, please email us at email@example.com. For the June presentations, we need to receive your email by 7 pm on Wednesday, June 22nd.
1st Presentation: The Optimizer Complexity is Great But…
The Optimizer is one of the most complex components in Oracle. In this session we will talk about the optimizer from a slightly different perspective, its deterministic (and non-deterministic) behavior. We will explore the stability of plans and examine new features that ruin your system performance, just when we get it tuned just right.
1st Speaker: Liron Amitzi, DBAces
- Liron Amitzi is an Oracle ACE and a senior Oracle DBA, with over 18 years of experience. During these years Liron worked as a senior consultant with a large number of companies in various fields and managed an Oracle Professional Services Team.
- Liron is currently in Vancouver, BC, founding the Canadian branch of his Israeli professional services and consulting Company, DBAces. He mainly specializes in high availability solutions, performance, backup and recovery, and other infrastructure and application database areas.
- He is also a well-known senior instructor and lectures in Oracle courses, events and forums. Liron holds a BSc in Computer Science and is a BCOUG executive committee member.
2nd Presentation: Oracle DB Security: Things You Could & Should be Doing Differently!
Regardless of whether you have Oracle Database Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition, or any optional packs, there is a wide variety of key database security features and mechanisms built right into the Oracle database that are typically overlooked, under appreciated, not understood, or are unknown, even to the experienced senior DBA.
- This presentation goes well beyond the basic concepts such as simple role/privilege grants or database passwords. And similarly is NOT about Oracle’s specialty additional cost products such as Database Vault, Audit Vault, Database Firewall, or the Advanced Security Option.
- Instead this presentation covers lesser known features, tips and tricks, common pitfalls, surprising exposures, and exploits related to Oracle database security. Whether you have a single standard edition on premise database or a large corporate enterprise using a public, private, or hybrid cloud, key database security features and strategies are explained to help DBAs and developers maximize the security, protection, and compliance of the database product they already have.
- Even senior or certified Oracle DBAs and developers are likely to learn tips and suggested techniques or practices that they can implement immediately to help secure and protect their Oracle databases. No additional software or licenses required – this talk covers only the hidden gems in the databases you already have!
2nd Speaker: Simon Pane, Pythian
- Simon Pane has worked as a DBA consultant for many years and is certified as an OCP, OCE, and ACE Associate. He enjoys sharing technical knowledge and has presented at many user groups and conferences including IOUG Collaborate, RMOUG, ECO, and UKOUG.
- Simon has consulted on literally thousands of database environments at hundreds of client sites ranging from small private enterprises to some of the largest and well known brand names in world.
- He currently works as a Solution Architect for Pythian and on a daily basis works with a global team of industry leading technical experts and international clients.
Help us wrap up COUG’s 2015-2016 season
Join us at the “Engineered Air Theatre” for our Year-End Networking Social Event, directly following the second presentation.
Great Door Prizes & enter for a chance to win one of several Best Buy, Starbucks or Timmies gift cards!